I’ve recently been informed that Turtles are more of a Canadian thing?
American + International friends, do we know what turtles are? These are the originals I grew up on.
Happy Day 1 of Feel Good Holidays!
Well – if you grew up on them (like me!), and want to make them with whole food ingredients (instead of the fillers, and high fructose corn syrup they are now made of) then you need this recipe!
And if you have no clue what Im talking about – text your Canadian friend 😉
Or just trust me that you WILL like these.
This recipe is part of 12 days of Feel Good Holidays!
If you want more recipes like this that are delicious, gf, df, and refined sugar free (aka antii-nflammatory) and will have you feeling energized, satisfied, and no sugar cravings or crashes — get the entire Feel Good Treats ebook with 29 recipes here!
Happy Holidays, however you choose celebrate!
Watch the recipe video on Instagram or Tik Tok
5 ingredient TurtlesCourse: Healthy Treats, Gluten free, dairy free, vegan, refined sugar free
- If your pecans are not roasted: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and roast pecans on a baking sheet for 9-12 minutes until roasted and fragrant (watch carefully as not to burn). Set aside.
- Add pitted dates to a food processor and pulse/mix until a ball forms. Then add almond meal and pulse again to incorporate.. If dough appears too sticky to handle, add more almond meal and pulse to combine.
- Using your hands, form the date mixture into small, round discs and place on a parchment-lined pan. Add four toasted pecans to make the turtle “legs”. Put in the freezer.
- Place chocolate in a double boiler or a glass bowl over a boiling pot of water and melt until the chocolate is a smooth consistency. Or melt in the microwave at 20 second intervals.
- Remove turtles from freezer and coat each with melted chocolate. Top with flakey salt.
- Put the turtles back in the freezer for 10 – 15 minutes to set.
Store in an airtight container in the freezer or fridge. If frozen, take out for about 5-10 minutes before consuming for best texture.